Gastroenterologists concern themselves with diagnosing and treating conditions that affect your intestines and stomach, giving special care to digestive health.
About The Many Reasons Why You Should Rather Go To A Gastroenterology Specialist When Suffering From Stomach And Digestive Health Problems
Gastroenterology focuses on the disorders and ailments that affect the Digestive System. The Digestive System includes all the organs that have to do with eating and digesting what you have eaten and discard what you do not need. Organs, therefore, includes the mouth, and everything in-between to the anus.
A Gastroenterology Specialist is a Physician that specializes in this field. They perform a variety of therapeutic procedures and diagnostic tests to pinpoint disease and problems and then find an effective treatment for the disease or problem.
Worldwide, people experience digestive problems, some more common than others, some that need lifelong treatment or care, and then you will have the more difficult disorders and diseases that have life-altering effects. A large percentage of people visiting their General Practitioner will complain about their digestive system.
Everyday Digestive Health Complaints and Disorders:
- Functional illness: Symptoms such as diarrhoea, vomiting constipation, belching and flatulence can be treated by a General Practitioner. If the symptoms persist, a referral to a Gastroenterologist will be best.
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome: You will possibly be referred to a Gastroenterologist to confirm a diagnosis and prescribed best diet and treatment.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn’s Disease are both similar to this disease and it will be preferable that you get treatment from a Specialist.
- Heartburn and GERD: Treatable, but if symptoms persist you should go to a Gastroenterologist for diagnosing the cause and finding a treatment.
- Nutritional Deficiencies: It might be necessary to have the correct tests done by a Specialist to find the cause of such deficiencies. It might be caused by an inefficient digestive system, rather than just eating wrong.
These are only a few of the more common digestive complaints doctors hear daily. You can also include such as Gallbladder disease, Appendicitis, Obesity, Acute and Chronic Pancreatitis, Peptic Ulcers, Cirrhosis, Celiac Disease and other food intolerances.
Most Common Tests Performed by a Gastroenterologist:
Colonoscopy: A Colonoscopy will be performed to find the possibilities of colorectal cancer and also examine the large intestine for problems and disease.
A long, thin, flexible tube with a tiny camera and light (colonoscope) is used to view to colon and rectum. It is used to check for inflammatory changes, polyps and cancer. Polyps can often be removed while this procedure is performed.
Endoscopy: An Endoscope is performed to evaluate and diagnose various problems, for instance, pain in the stomach or abdomen, ulcers, tumours, bleeding, painful or difficulty swallowing, pancreas and gallbladder problems and more.
An Endoscope is a flexible, thin tube (long enough to go through the length of the upper digestive tract), ending in a tiny light and camera. The endoscope can be safely guided through the whole upper part of the digestive system to examine the inside lining of the upper Digestive system. Some treatments can also be executed with the Endoscope.
When you feel that you need a better diagnosis or treatment for a Digestive System problem or illness, it will be best if you go to a Gastroenterology Specialist. They do have the expertise and a number of techniques to view organs of the Digestive tract.